Associate Director of Architecture and Design Life Sciences
SmartLabs is a new approach to providing biotech companies with an on-demand pharma quality research environment to accelerate scientific discovery and therapeutic commercialization.
Our mission is to minimize any administrative, operational, or logistical hurdles that a team faces on its way to critical company milestones. We provide a turn-key laboratory environment, so our clients can accelerate scientific discovery from day one.
Now is an exciting time to join SmartLabs, as it grows and expands to a global footprint.
We are seeking a self-motivated and proactive Associate Director of Architecture and Design in Life Sciences with relevant experience in laboratory planning and design for the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or other research companies.
The main purpose of this role is to lead the design of next generation laboratory spaces to promote efficient scientific work and high-quality design, both on time and on budget. This role reports to the Executive team of the organization and works closely with our Facilities, Operations, Advanced Scientific Services divisions, as well as other external vendors.
The Associate Director of Architecture and Design in Life Sciences is responsible for programming, planning and detailed design, administration of lab fit out projects, applying knowledge of lab planning, architectural design, construction detailing, construction procedures, building codes, and building materials for clients according to their desires, needs, and financial resources. Additional specific requirements include:
- Generate architectural and lab planning design concepts and presentations
- Document architectural plans, elevations, sections, details, and schedules using REVIT, AutoCAD, and other BIM software
- Coordinate work with Lab Operations team, Project Managers, and other architects.
- Schedule equipment and benching systems for specialty laboratories
- Function as a Designer, to the extent necessary to complete projects on schedule and within budget
- Plan and program layout of projects
- Coordinate and integrate all other discipline elements into unified design for client review and approval
- Prepare client project presentations, studies, and reports
- Utilize computer-assisted design software and equipment to prepare project designs and plans
- Prepare drawings and coordinate specification documents for the conceptual, schematic, design development, and construction phase of a project, while conforming to budgets and schedules
- Conduct regular, periodic on-site observations of work during construction to monitor compliance with detailed design documents
- Monitor architectural project scope development and changes, tracking all adjustments to projects
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Must be a registered architect with a minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Experience managing client expectations, team communication, and consultant coordination
- Ability to interpret a building program and generate varied design concepts
- Demonstrated experience using Revit, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with building code, zoning code, and lab code requirements
- Basic understanding of engineering and plumbing
- Individuals must be willing to extend their practice knowledge into science and pharmaceutical-type regulations and be willing to stay current on scientific industry practices that support the solutions for these innovative spaces
- Strong interest and expertise in science, pharmaceutical regulations, and industry practices
- Strong organizational, communications (both verbal and written) skills, and leadership abilities are required
- LEED or WELL accreditation would be an advantage
- FREE, 100% employer-paid health insurance for medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- The company also provides you with a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) of up to $6,500 per year for you and your family’s health expenses
- An awesome vacation policy – that you are reimbursed for if you don’t use
- Commuter discount
- Unlimited snacks, drinks, and coffee at work
- Be part of the solution in fixing a broken part of the biotech and pharma landscape
- Be surrounded by some of the most cutting-edge research in the world
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!